drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Can you replace a slice with a oneshot in FL Slicer?
Go to the bottom of this page Can you replace a slice with a oneshot in FL Slicer?
Author
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Been playing with the FL slicer last night, only to discover that it's not really top notch (I guess). I want to replace a certain slice with a one shot sample, but this seems to be impossible (checked the FL bible and it doesn't mention this possibilitiy at all).

Am I missing the point here?
If not, could you advice me some other slicer which could do the job?

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
05-04-2006 13:18 Homepage of BattleDrone
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

just play the sample with a sampler channel on the place it would be with the slicer, and dont play the slice u want to replace? Confused

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
05-04-2006 14:10 Homepage of Friscko
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

That kinda defeats the whole point of the slicer in the first place. It sounds like your after a mappable sample rather than a slicer. If you want to change that one slice, you could always open the wave up in a wave editor and find the slice your after and paste the sample you want over the top. Alternitively you could always open that sample up in a normal sampler since this will give you more controll over it.
05-04-2006 14:25
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

It is better like this, and this issue comes from another point:

the sliced rhythm is also a sample, so you can't put a standalone sample in another standalone sample - that's illogical.

Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
05-04-2006 14:39 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

I can see a certain point in doing this as you could have one drumset in one pianoroll.
It takes time to work in pianoroll and the have to switch to the pattern mode, and put this certain drumhit in a sampler. If you could have everything in just one window it would be the best. For now on I always work by change from pianoroll/patternwindow.
There is one thing that you can do thou, and that is to work in piano roll. Then you can change sample by choosing in a menu that is located on the top of the pianorollwindow. Saves time Happy

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
05-04-2006 15:04 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Or put the slicer channel together with the sampler channel binded by layer. More on layers visit the prod. thread.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
05-04-2006 17:46 Homepage of Muad'Dib
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
just play the sample with a sampler channel on the place it would be with the slicer, and dont play the slice u want to replace? Confused

I find this very unpractical, unless you have a totally robotic drumline which was played on beat everytime so you would not really need a second piano roll. You see there doesn't seem to be a possiblity to open 2 piano rolls at the same time.

I'm still convinced that replacing the slices with oneshots inside the slicer is much better than using an external audio editor that doesn't recognize the different beats (atleast mine (cool edit 2000) doesn't).

IMO a slicer is just a sampler with some extra possiblities, so why shouldn't it offer this rather basic functionality for samplers? Let's face it, it would be damn handy to replace just one instrument in a break.

I'm sure your (al of you) advice does the job, but I think it could be much more comfortable to work this way.
after some googling I discovered that phatmatik pro can do this (but it's a €149.50 plugin :-( )

__
05-04-2006 23:19 Homepage of BattleDrone
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

You are right, but I guess they haven't figured this out yet. Why don't you petition this to them? Write them a letter describing what would you like to see in the next FL release Wink

__

-Bene Gesserit
07-04-2006 00:19 Homepage of Muad'Dib
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

You could use the fpc to use other samples in the piano roll, but you would still have to switch between the piano roll for the fpc and the piano roll for the slicer.

Just in case you didn't know: if you click the top bar of the piano roll window, you get a dropdown menu with the samples and plugins in the step sequencer, by selecting one you can start editing it in the piano roll. It isn't the perfect solution, but it sure works faster than switching back to the step sequencer and opening another piano roll from there.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
07-04-2006 22:54 Homepage of djfreemc
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:
Originally posted by Friscko

I find this very unpractical, unless you have a totally robotic drumline which was played on beat everytime so you would not really need a second piano roll. You see there doesn't seem to be a possiblity to open 2 piano rolls at the same time.

I'm still convinced that replacing the slices with oneshots inside the slicer is much better than using an external audio editor that doesn't recognize the different beats (atleast mine (cool edit 2000) doesn't).

IMO a slicer is just a sampler with some extra possiblities, so why shouldn't it offer this rather basic functionality for samplers? Let's face it, it would be damn handy to replace just one instrument in a break.

I'm sure your (al of you) advice does the job, but I think it could be much more comfortable to work this way.
after some googling I discovered that phatmatik pro can do this (but it's a €149.50 plugin :-( )

why dont oyu study how the slicer breaks up drum patterns and sequence them yourself in the piano roll

if thats not good enough for you, use kontakt or batter and do it that way...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

07-04-2006 23:06
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23

why dont oyu study how the slicer breaks up drum patterns and sequence them yourself in the piano roll

if thats not good enough for you, use kontakt or batter and do it that way...

I think I should have a look into those things yeah, I guess they are VST's or?

__
08-04-2006 20:03 Homepage of BattleDrone
detox

Registration Date: 15-04-2006

What u can do is in your existing or new project go to file > import > beat to slice and open up your loop, this automaticly slices it up, you can't chose hit or slice points, but it does the job of creating slices , sequencing them in a piano roll channel while creating their own sampler channels for each slice..then you will be able to replce a slice with some other sample by just opening the sample's sample and browsing for another sample. give it a go . hope this can solve the issue.
15-04-2006 19:27
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Now that's what I call constructive advice. I'll give it a try when I get home.

Thanks dude Happy

__
16-04-2006 08:31 Homepage of BattleDrone
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah, way to go detox! Bigup

__

-Bene Gesserit
16-04-2006 13:03 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Can you replace a slice with a oneshot in FL Slicer?