drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » Putting the new server together
Go to the bottom of this page Putting the new server together
Author
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Yeah me too, especially now I have the case in front of me!! Want to see it working Happy

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
03-05-2006 10:48 Homepage of thechronic
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

I've just done some calculations, if I dump the Opteron for a regular Athlon 64 and use standard SATA drives the total price drops to around 950€ without control panel. I could dump the control panel too and use a freeware one or none at all.
We already have 825€ so that would mean just 125€ more and we're rolling!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
03-05-2006 10:55 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

whoa great news! I'm really sorry I couldnt add my bit as my financial situation is horrible.

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
03-05-2006 11:35 Homepage of cynik
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

Big things!

Good one chronic Bigup
03-05-2006 14:49
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Use freeware or some weak replacement of the cpanel - it is always better than none!

Anyway, saliva slides down from my mouth at those photos... give me some.. me hungry....bwaaaaaaa

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
03-05-2006 17:09 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
I've just done some calculations, if I dump the Opteron for a regular Athlon 64 and use standard SATA drives the total price drops to around 950€ without control panel. I could dump the control panel too and use a freeware one or none at all.
We already have 825€ so that would mean just 125€ more and we're rolling!

hooray!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

__
My Sounds
04-05-2006 09:37
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

looking good man Big Grin

__
My Sounds
06-05-2006 08:49
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Glim, you look like a friend of mine.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
07-05-2006 20:45 Homepage of Muad'Dib
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Great news!! Drummer

I have put the rest of the server together yesterday! It already boots up and it makes more noise than a gathering of vacuum cleaners lol Big Grin

I finally got the last bit of cash together. I had to save a bit on price of the CPU though, so it's now a regular Athlon instead of an Opteron, but I can still upgrade it later if needed. It's at least a big improvement on the old server which was running on a Pentium III 1GHz Big Grin

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+
RAM: 2x512MB Kingston PC3200 ECC registered
HD: 3x160GB Western Digital Caviar SE SATA II

Unfortunately my internet connection was cut off the whole day yesterday due to a broken amp in my street ( Fuckyou interelectra damn ignorant bastards!!), so I couldn't post the news here. And I couldn't download the OS either. I'm going to put CentOS on it. Well at least my connection is back now, going to initiate the downloads now.

I'll have to do a short studio session in Brussels today and when I return this evening I'll start installing it and I'll put some pics online.

I've also chosen a colocation host (Transip) where I can put the server.

What I still need to do now:
- install the OS
- do some testing (or rather "playing around" Big Grin )
- buy a license on DirectAdmin and install it (will have the cash next week I hope)
- drive to Amsterdam and put the server in the datacenter
- make a small site to testdrive the server and get to know DirectAdmin
- install all the needed PHP libraries etc
- shut down dnbbe and back it up
- transfer it the to the new server, and transfer the DNS etc
- put it back up piece by piece and do some rigorous testing
- reenable the track uploads and sample packs for everyone Cool

I'll try to get it done by next week, I'll keep you guys well informed!
At the time I will move the site there will be some downtime, I can't tell how long it will be, from a few hours to a few days depending on how much trouble I have getting it to work.

I'll post some pics of the completed server this evening!! I'm off to the studio in 15 minutes, don't know when I'll be back but it won't be too late, I just have to record and edit some drums for a 3 minute single.

__
29-06-2006 09:08 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Nice! When do you figure this could be all done? Like a best case scenario Tongue

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

29-06-2006 10:18 Homepage of Surya
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

Jesus Christ this is good news!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I alwayz new things would turn out well in the end.

Biggup chron - looking forward to the pics!!

Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer

__
My Sounds
29-06-2006 17:23
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Lol I had to throw the best case scenario out already Big Grin

I should be able to get the server installed in the data center next week, but I have no idea how flexible the data centers are with this.

I wanted to do the OS install tomorrow but I have to do editing work now on today's session which has to be finished by tomorrow night. So I can do the OS install on tuesday or wednesday I hope.

Then I'll have to buy a Directadmin license which is $300, I'm expecting a payment next week. I still have to figure out how it works exactly, but I certainly need to get the server up in the data center before it can be installed.

Then moving the site will be a lot of hassle, with the last move I went from one cPanel server to another cPanel server and that already involved a lot of trouble with missing libraries and other incompatibilities, but at least cPanel had a feature to do the data and settings transfer automatically. This is not the case when going to DirectAdmin unfortunately.

I also need to configure some stuff which I never done before, like the DNS server etc, and the whole system will be very different to what I'm used to. Basically I will need to do a lot of research and experimenting to get the server protected and running the way I like it.

Once I'm comfortable with that I'll make a test site that eg runs the forum software to see if it works as expected before doing the big move.

Then I need to shut down the site, back it up and transfer it to the new server. The amount of data is quite massive, with 1000+ mp3's and huge sample packs and everything + there are a load of scripts in use that depend on certain packages (like PEAR and PHP extensions etc). I'm not even hoping that it would start working perfectly after the move. So I need to put it up piece by piece, probably need to rewrite a lot of stuff (a lot of code uses eg hard coded file paths like "\home\dnbbe\includes\name of file" that need to be rewritten to match the directory structure of the new server).

Sleepless nights coming up for sure Tongue But that's for later, I'm now going to make the pictures that I promised! Big Grin

__
30-06-2006 01:28 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

These are the three SATA drives, two will be put in a RAID1 configuration and the third is for the daily backup.

thechronic has attached this image (reduced version):
drives.jpg

__
30-06-2006 02:10 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

A massive heatsink with an airguide is used to cool the processor. There is no room inside for a CPU fan, so the airflow from the 5 fans in the middle is used to cool the CPU heatsink as well as the drives and the rest of the system.

heatsink.jpg

__
30-06-2006 02:13 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Another view of the heatsink with the memory in the back. The memory is of the ECC-type which has built in error correction for more stability Tongue

memory.jpg

__
30-06-2006 02:16 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

The whole server with everything inside Big Grin

server.jpg

__
30-06-2006 02:17 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Another view of the heatsink with the memory in the back. The memory is of the ECC-type which has built in error correction for more stability Tongue

Which is quite useless, coz normal memory's error rate is so below 1 it never acually occurs Smile

Well, hope the move goes better than expected Smile

Can't you move the whole thing, and keep this version running till the last moment and than do a transfer of the database? Just disable uploading and stuff for that time, so the only thing that can change is the DB. Should reduce downtime to a minimum...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

30-06-2006 08:28 Homepage of Surya
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya

Should reduce downtime to a minimum...
This i like the sound of... Wink

__
My Sounds
01-07-2006 04:51
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Can't you move the whole thing, and keep this version running till the last moment and than do a transfer of the database? Just disable uploading and stuff for that time, so the only thing that can change is the DB. Should reduce downtime to a minimum...

I'll try that, but it will make it much harder for me since I'll have to change every occurence of 'http://www.drumnbass.be/' in the code to 'http://random.ip.address.whatever/~drumnbass.be/' to be able to do the testing, and then change it back before going live.

Well I could replace them all with a variable, that would save me the trouble of changing it back before going live.

__
01-07-2006 10:07 Homepage of thechronic
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

that one was funny.

__
Space

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by equipped: 01-07-2006 20:41.

01-07-2006 10:10
Pages (6): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » Putting the new server together