drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » Tune Mastering Services
Go to the bottom of this page Tune Mastering Services
Author

images/avatars/avatar-405.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Hi people.

Since a while now I've been making drum'n'bass tracks, as some of you already know, some of you not. Parallel, I've developed a big interest and experience with sound enhancement, processing and mastering. I can say that I've spent more time doing that the past year than anything else!

Overy the time I've developed a know-how and today I want to offer my services to people who want to make their mixdowns sound "better".

Now many people whould ask "what's the use mate?". I don't know really. It's up to you actually to know if you're happy with how your tune sounds or if you want to add this little extra something... If you're planning to make vinly then you should definitely send your tune to masterpiece, the exchange or metropolis and those chaps will take proper care, as you already know. If it's just to put it on CD and play it at a club then I think you should maybe consider this...

I offer unattended mastering sessions at very interesting prices.

For those who wish to try and get convinced, I can offer freely to process 30 seconds of your original material and send it back to you over the net so you can have a listen and compare Original and Processed.

This is the equipment I use:

Fundamental Acoustic Research Monitors
TC Electronic Finalizer 96k
Weiss EQ-1
Dual P4 2.4ghz
Delta 66 Audio Card
HHB CD Player / Burner
TASCAM DAT Player / Recorder
A good pair of ears

For info, inquiries PM me or send me an email:
multics@fictiveaudio.co.uk

Peace,
Multics // Fictiveaudio
08-10-2004 04:48 Homepage of Multics
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

start advertising after you get a few more decades under your belt and never listen to anything loud as to keep your hearing.
then maybe you can ask for money. really this stuff takes time to learn and you just dont have enough expirence to ask for money.
08-10-2004 06:50
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

No offence, but marisol is probably right. One year is really not long enough...

How would you do it? The whole tune at once, or each track on its own and the mixdown?

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

08-10-2004 08:19 Homepage of Surya
Multics

quote:
Originally posted by marisol
start advertising after you get a few more decades under your belt and never listen to anything loud as to keep your hearing.
then maybe you can ask for money. really this stuff takes time to learn and you just dont have enough expirence to ask for money.

I don't think you know me right? Cos I don't know you either and quite frankly I don't hink you have any idea about my skills, whether they're good or bad... It's like saying "i don't like this food" while you've never ate it before... If you're curious, you can send me some material and only THEN make judgements and comments.

Peace,
Multics.

__
http://www.fictiveaudio.co.uk
08-10-2004 15:18 Homepage of Multics
Multics

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
How would you do it? The whole tune at once, or each track on its own and the mixdown?

The whole tune indeed.

Peace,
Multics.

__
08-10-2004 15:20 Homepage of Multics
saphir saphir is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-185.gif

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

i only can recommend multics

his ears are made off crystal
his knowledge reaches the very end of the spectrum

i'll sure keep in contact!
Bigup for dis man

__
http://soundcloud.com/saphir_gazmazk

www.nitras.be
08-10-2004 15:28 Homepage of saphir
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

do you have a room with zero reflection?
Or any before and after samples?
do you know how to properly deal with phasing?
Do you use a mixer?
or striaght from source.

If I were you i would set my sights on a job at a studio and work your way into an engineer position.
From there you make the move to mastering.
It takes time to hone your ears to getting a proper sound.

Im not trying to be a shithead or anything I just think alot of people have no idea what is behind mastering correctly.

any clown poppin loop packs into acid can run thru a preset and maximize a track but that doesnt mean its mastered. I see you are on your way and charged about mastering but you need to humble yourself for a moment.

and if your are determined to get paid present yourself in a more professional manner.
08-10-2004 16:01
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

agreed with marisol, lot's of people has quite shifted ideas about mastering, lot of people knows almost nothing about phase or correlation and my personally will rather learn how to mix and master with plugins myself then sending it to someone who will use the same..
I have no reason to think that Multics is not able to make your stuff sound better, but my advice is learn it yourself, honestly I think that most of the tracks here are not on the level they should be mastered and released, and my best advice is to keep working and learn it yourself. Drum&bass is one of styles where sound engineering is one of the necessary skills and proper mastering is sometimes a half of tune.. Loads of "pro" tracks are not as good musically as they sound great.. and that's why lots of people enjoys this tune. Please don't take this as an offence, it's just my oppinion about that

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by B-complex: 08-10-2004 16:20.

08-10-2004 16:20
saphir saphir is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

first hear then judge i'd say.
you always can send him a clip to be thight sure?

the points you suggest are true. i even know them
and i know shit about mastering.
read again, he offers a 30sec free mastering to decide for yourself, i am sure he knows where he's up to...

all i know is that i often get the reponse, it sounds well mastered, when it's just a plain rip from my sequencer. but anyway.

__

www.nitras.be
08-10-2004 16:21 Homepage of saphir
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

I did not judged anyone Smile

__

08-10-2004 16:43
saphir saphir is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

nono

judge ment in a broad way and was a reaction after reading marisol's post

peace Wink

__

www.nitras.be
08-10-2004 16:50 Homepage of saphir
Multics

Marisol,

I do know how to deal with stereo phase and channel correlation, I do use a mixer if needed, I do the work as it seems to work best for me.

I'm not saying either that you're entirely a shithead but you've came up straight from the first time with unfunded comments...

And no, I do not have to introduce myself in a better way, I've done that decently enough at my first post. Besides, you dont HAVE to use my services so giving your two cents don't make a difference for me. This is a forum indeed where people express opinions... Right, at least the should know what they're talking about, else it's waste of energy and time.

Marisol, i advise you to spend another decade on forums mate, I'll be doing my styff in the meanwhile.

Multics.

__
08-10-2004 18:18 Homepage of Multics
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

so lets here your stuff.
Also I didnt mean you any harm. I just dont think people should think mastering is something you can learn in a year. it takes ages to gather the expirence it takes to master tracks of any nature.

go ahead and get all pissy if you want. its no sweat of my balls. I dont feel like i have insulted you. Baby
08-10-2004 19:48
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by Multics
quote:
Originally posted by Surya

The whole tune indeed.

In that case it's quite hard if the mixdown really sucks (like the bass overpowers the rest completely, or there is virtually no hi-end and such things... In that case it's quite impossible, no?

But if sa4 agrees you're good, you might be Big Grin

But imo even the best masterer can't fix the worst mixdown Wink

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

08-10-2004 19:55 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

If Saphir recommends you you must be good Smile

I'm always very wary of people mastering using software and a finalizer, it's too easy to dial in some presets and thinking your a mastering engineer. So I understand marisol's and surya's reservations. On the other hand if you have a keen ear and know what you're doing you CAN get ace results using these tools.

And the real mastering gear is very expensive, but I guess you're saving up for them like the rest of us Big Grin

I also have been doing mastering for some years now, but I am lucky enough to be able to do this in studios I work for, so I have access to all the yummy stuff like focusrite, orban, oram, tube tech and avalon Big Grin
Unfortunately the prices these studios charge are so high they are not accessible for the average home producer, so that's were people like you are invaluable. Over the years you'll probably progress to a point where most people can't afford your services anymore Cool

Mastering isn't so hard as some people think it is, it just takes some experience, a couple of good monitor sets, good gear and a fair bit of hard concentration Big Grin Biggest trick is not overdoing it, and getting to know the side effects of the gear you're using. Especially multi band compressors can be very deceiving, takes some time getting to know how they affect the sound Big Grin

And indeed bad mixes are impossible to get right.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
08-10-2004 23:19 Homepage of thechronic
SafeandSound SafeandSound is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 19-10-2009

Mastering requires foremost :

Engineer with many years of experience with music.
Engineer with many years of experience communicating with people.(musicians)
Very well acoustically treated room, across all frequencies (especially bass).
High quality monitoring.
High quality monitoring position free of reflections and comb filtering.
High quality and carefully selected tools, analog and digital.

Tick all the boxes and you are ready to go. ; )

__
masteringmastering.co.uk

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by SafeandSound: 19-01-2010 21:26.

19-10-2009 23:04
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » Tune Mastering Services