drumnbass.be forum
Register Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » This is NOT the end. Dnbbe will NOT be taken offline soon. » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Receive email on new post
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page This is NOT the end. Dnbbe will NOT be taken offline soon.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
fozb0t
Newbie


Registration Date: 14-03-2012
Posts: 7


Rate Member

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

sad day!!! ive only been on here for a few months and ive learned so much from all of you! thanks Chron! Thanks mods! BD and Ketz, yall have seemed to be endless fountains of knowledge at least from my current standing. not to mention other members as well. Crying
02-04-2012 23:37 Send an Email to fozb0t Search for Posts by fozb0t Add fozb0t to your Buddy List
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin


images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002
Posts: 5,293

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Guys thanks for all your kind words and PMs Happy I really appreciate it, I never thought there still was so much interest and I don't seem to be the only one who has really fond memories of the site.

I'm am now doubting my decision and there maybe is a way that I can keep dnbbe online for a few more years. But first let's set some things straight.

  • I can no longer afford to run the site in its current form, not money wise, but time wise. Objectively it does not take THAT much time (like 2-3 hours per week), but the truth is that I have been doing this for 10 years, and it is really starting to have an effect on me. I can't continue doing this forever. It has become a really boring routine: answering the same questions over and over, changing passwords or email adresses, removing tracks, checking for the 10000th spammer, ... I'm tired, really tired Frown This is the most important thing for me, if the site would continue to exist then it should not need my continuous attention any more.
  • The server is now many years old and the software (CentOS 4) no longer gets security updates. This means that the server *will* be hacked, and this can happen any moment. The server needs to be shut down as soon as possible, no question about it.
  • The current hosting is too expensive for what the site actually needs. I pay for 1000GB of transfer per month, which was needed when the site was very popular. But the site's popularity has gone down and now needs only 100GB per month. So I am wasting 90% of the capacity, which is ridiculous. So, we need to change hosting.
  • The server is old. Because the site has few visitors it still works really well and it could still last for many years. But as it ages there is a bigger chance that something will break (eg a hard disk, a cooling fan, ...). There is also this problem that it is located in Amsterdam, which is 4 hours driving for me. I'd love to get rid of it and move to a VPS, this would be a much more modern, reliable and cheaper solution.
  • The site is too big, which is making a move to a cheaper and more practical hosting impossible. It currently has 44GB of mp3s, most of which haven't been listened to in years. In the early years of the website this was a wonderful feature but nowadays there is Soundcloud which is much better. So all the music has to go. Same for the sample packs.


So I am now thinking of getting rid of everything except the forum (and maybe the top 100 of best songs for old times sake). And I would lock the forum, so that only the existing members can still log in but no new members would be accepted any more. This is not a nice thing to do, but it would solve most of the burden of maintaining the site and it is still better than having the site disappear completely. Then I can move the site to a cheap VPS and it might continue to live for another 10 years.

What do you guys think? Would a forum without new people be unacceptable? Or do you think there is still value in keeping the forum online for people to perhaps learn something in its many pages of producing wisdom?

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
04-04-2012 16:43 Send an Email to thechronic Homepage of thechronic Search for Posts by thechronic Add thechronic to your Buddy List
GoogleGoogle is female
Ad Producer


lots of money

Registration Date: 06-06-2005
Posts: a million

  Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator Go to the top of this page

06-06-2006 06:66 Search for Posts by Google Add Google to your Buddy List Send a Private Message to Google
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin


images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003
Posts: 4,197

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Now, this is a sad day, indeed.

Chron, dump all the music and unnecessary stuff but let registration on (with some additional step and requirement for registration, should reduce assholes significantly).

In any case, if this site is going somewhere deep, I'd like contact info with you guys. I've been working on my music for some time now, been relatively off from this site, but I've been checking threads now and then.

I am here from y. 2003, if I remember correctly, fuckin great times. When I hear the first stuff I made and posted here, shame conquers me. But I've grown into a good technician and I work on music constantly, although with lot less time than before.

I love this site, I have grown up with it, and I don't want to see it down.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
04-04-2012 19:18 Send an Email to Muad'Dib Homepage of Muad'Dib Search for Posts by Muad'Dib Add Muad'Dib to your Buddy List
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.


images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005
Posts: 6,413

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We could use soundcloud to include songs so you would no longer need to host them and stream them.
There was a lot of cleaning up to do with spam and all so the registration procedure should be a lot more complex.
I'm not very fond of the idea of making it a closed forum.
A lot of the old users won't log in anymore and we do see new people posting tunes.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
04-04-2012 22:35 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin


images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002
Posts: 5,293

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I don't feel it is an option to keep the forum open, and I'm not going to spend hours building an anti spam system which will be ineffective anyway. Nowadays spammers can use services that solve captchas by real humans.

Also, with new users come new problems. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life answering mails for people who are unable to find a registration mail in their spam folder or who use throwaway mail accounts to register and then forget their passwords. Or get insulted because people think they have some kind of god given right to upload tracks without having to write any reviews. I'm also sometimes getting requests of people that want to close their accounts forever because they moved on, and that is really depressing.

I want to build new things, not keep supporting this sinking ship. It has become a huge burden for me, and this feeling has been growing for a long time. I feel like I'm doing an uphill battle for a platform that is losing relevance every day. And while there are fewer posts and fewer tracks posted, the burden of the maintenance remains the same.

When I got the notice that the server OS was no longer supported this was like something clicked in me, this was like a wake up call. But on the other hand I've spent so many hours on this over the past 10 years that this feels like I am going to murder my own baby. I'm really torn now.

BTW I have just received a DMCA takedown notice over some copyright infringement on the site, this is like the final straw. I'm in a very dark mood now, I'll think about it for a few more days.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
05-04-2012 00:58 Send an Email to thechronic Homepage of thechronic Search for Posts by thechronic Add thechronic to your Buddy List
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?


images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008
Posts: 724

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
So I am now thinking of getting rid of everything except the forum (and maybe the top 100 of best songs for old times sake). And I would lock the forum, so that only the existing members can still log in but no new members would be accepted any more. This is not a nice thing to do, but it would solve most of the burden of maintaining the site and it is still better than having the site disappear completely. Then I can move the site to a cheap VPS and it might continue to live for another 10 years.

What do you guys think? Would a forum without new people be unacceptable? Or do you think there is still value in keeping the forum online for people to perhaps learn something in its many pages of producing wisdom?


This sounds good to me. Or at least a lot better than closing the whole forum.

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
06-04-2012 11:16 Send an Email to Puzzle Homepage of Puzzle Search for Posts by Puzzle Add Puzzle to your Buddy List
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost


images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005
Posts: 2,545

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

could it then be made so people could be invited in?

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

06-04-2012 20:17 Send an Email to D2o Homepage of D2o Search for Posts by D2o Add D2o to your Buddy List
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin


images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003
Posts: 4,197

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by D2o
could it then be made so people could be invited in?


This.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
07-04-2012 01:06 Send an Email to Muad'Dib Homepage of Muad'Dib Search for Posts by Muad'Dib Add Muad'Dib to your Buddy List
additive additive is a male
DROP IT!


images/avatars/avatar-2973.png

Registration Date: 09-02-2005
Posts: 277

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

run up a linode. that'll do the trick

__
http://www.additivemusic.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/additive-music/497601575363?ref=ts
07-04-2012 13:32 Send an Email to additive Homepage of additive Search for Posts by additive Add additive to your Buddy List
Dubrain Hertz Dubrain Hertz is a male
Sponsor


images/avatars/avatar-1290.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2005
Posts: 329

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

A real shame indeed. I havent been very active here the last couple of years but I check in from time to time. Really learnt a lot about music production and got to listen to a lot of great tunes on this forum. Whatever you decide to do, thanks a lot for creating this place.

__
Download my album for free/pay what you want http://recordsofthefleshgod.bandcamp.com...years-2002-2005
07-04-2012 13:35 Send an Email to Dubrain Hertz Homepage of Dubrain Hertz Search for Posts by Dubrain Hertz Add Dubrain Hertz to your Buddy List
Evasive Action Evasive Action is a male
joeuk


images/avatars/avatar-2839.jpg

Registration Date: 25-11-2008
Posts: 72

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Massive thanks to all those who contributed to this site. Big ups to all the moderators, chron, battledrone and all the others. Thanks to Ketz and Demure for giving me advice back in the early days. This was a brilliant site and i remember how excited I was when I got my producer status when I was starting out.

Sad times
01-05-2012 11:41 Send an Email to Evasive Action Search for Posts by Evasive Action Add Evasive Action to your Buddy List
GoogleGoogle is female
Ad Producer


lots of money

Registration Date: 06-06-2005
Posts: a million

  Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator Go to the top of this page

06-06-2006 06:66 Search for Posts by Google Add Google to your Buddy List Send a Private Message to Google
cjstyles
Wicked Producer


Registration Date: 06-07-2005
Posts: 376

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Guys thanks for all your kind words and PMs Happy I really appreciate it, I never thought there still was so much interest and I don't seem to be the only one who has really fond memories of the site.

I'm am now doubting my decision and there maybe is a way that I can keep dnbbe online for a few more years. But first let's set some things straight.

  • I can no longer afford to run the site in its current form, not money wise, but time wise. Objectively it does not take THAT much time (like 2-3 hours per week), but the truth is that I have been doing this for 10 years, and it is really starting to have an effect on me. I can't continue doing this forever. It has become a really boring routine: answering the same questions over and over, changing passwords or email adresses, removing tracks, checking for the 10000th spammer, ... I'm tired, really tired Frown This is the most important thing for me, if the site would continue to exist then it should not need my continuous attention any more.
  • The server is now many years old and the software (CentOS 4) no longer gets security updates. This means that the server *will* be hacked, and this can happen any moment. The server needs to be shut down as soon as possible, no question about it.
  • The current hosting is too expensive for what the site actually needs. I pay for 1000GB of transfer per month, which was needed when the site was very popular. But the site's popularity has gone down and now needs only 100GB per month. So I am wasting 90% of the capacity, which is ridiculous. So, we need to change hosting.
  • The server is old. Because the site has few visitors it still works really well and it could still last for many years. But as it ages there is a bigger chance that something will break (eg a hard disk, a cooling fan, ...). There is also this problem that it is located in Amsterdam, which is 4 hours driving for me. I'd love to get rid of it and move to a VPS, this would be a much more modern, reliable and cheaper solution.
  • The site is too big, which is making a move to a cheaper and more practical hosting impossible. It currently has 44GB of mp3s, most of which haven't been listened to in years. In the early years of the website this was a wonderful feature but nowadays there is Soundcloud which is much better. So all the music has to go. Same for the sample packs.


So I am now thinking of getting rid of everything except the forum (and maybe the top 100 of best songs for old times sake). And I would lock the forum, so that only the existing members can still log in but no new members would be accepted any more. This is not a nice thing to do, but it would solve most of the burden of maintaining the site and it is still better than having the site disappear completely. Then I can move the site to a cheap VPS and it might continue to live for another 10 years.

What do you guys think? Would a forum without new people be unacceptable? Or do you think there is still value in keeping the forum online for people to perhaps learn something in its many pages of producing wisdom?


First can I say maximum respect for the time you have dedicated to the website man over the years.

I would not certainly be where I am now if it wasn't for this site. I remember when i first plucked up the courage to start putting my bits up on here and getting really useful, positive feedback and also constructive criticism to make my tunes better. A lot of my tunes on here then went on to get signed and make vinyl.

If it was possible to run a slimmed down version of the website, that cost you less and took up less of your time, that definitely sounds like a good idea.

__
NexGen / Plush / Liquid Brilliants / LDNBmusic / Ambra

Paul SG - Hidden Smile (CJ Styles Remix) forthcoming Ambra


This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cjstyles: 06-05-2012 18:29.

06-05-2012 18:28 Send an Email to cjstyles Search for Posts by cjstyles Add cjstyles to your Buddy List
2clix 2clix is a male
Doctor Obvious


images/avatars/avatar-3239.jpg

Registration Date: 17-11-2007
Posts: 317

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Damn this is a sad day in music for sure. Thanks for the memories .be

__
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
07-05-2012 00:11 Send an Email to 2clix Search for Posts by 2clix Add 2clix to your Buddy List
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.


images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005
Posts: 6,413

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The end is coming.... soon!

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
09-05-2012 21:36 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
godd godd is a male
Producer


Registration Date: 15-05-2011
Posts: 30

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Does anyone know an alternative to this site? Something cosy and friendly (not DOA) which is all about DnB and dubstep production?


i was thinking of joining breakzforum.be... i haven't really checked it out yet, but there probably aren't that many places to get some decent feedback on d&b tunes. at first glance it looks like a pretty active place

it's too bad that this site is gonna quit, i haven't been here for that long but i really learned a lot going through these pages. will there be a notification when the final decision falls or will we just come here one day only to find a 'not found on this server' message?

cheers, and a sincere thank you to thechronic - i had no idea you had to go through all that trouble to keep this site alive
10-05-2012 00:22 Send an Email to godd Search for Posts by godd Add godd to your Buddy List
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.


images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005
Posts: 6,413

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by godd
will there be a notification when the final decision falls or will we just come here one day only to find a 'not found on this server' message?


The latter. The decision has already been taken, we are in borrowed time now.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
10-05-2012 11:48 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.


images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005
Posts: 6,413

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I will be using breakzforum.be and DogsOnAcid.com instead of this site.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
21-05-2012 15:32 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin


images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002
Posts: 5,293

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes the site will disappear sometime soon. I wanted to do it already but have been occupied with other things.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
25-05-2012 18:24 Send an Email to thechronic Homepage of thechronic Search for Posts by thechronic Add thechronic to your Buddy List
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost


images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005
Posts: 2,545

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sad news chronic.
Just checked my profile to see i signed up here 7 years to the day!
Bigups to all that I've met through this site, all those that have contributed and the biggest of bigups to the chronic for making it all happen in the first place.

RIP dotbe

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

30-05-2012 09:11 Send an Email to D2o Homepage of D2o Search for Posts by D2o Add D2o to your Buddy List
cjstyles
Wicked Producer


Registration Date: 06-07-2005
Posts: 376

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sad times

Thanks for all the hard work buddy - won't be forgotten.

Also Thanks to everyone who I met, thanks to everyone who commented, gave feedback, put up the sample packs and supported.

If you want to stay in touch guys - please drop me a message on either of the following

www.soundcloud.com/cj-styles
www.facebook.com/djcjstyles

Thanks

CJ

__
NexGen / Plush / Liquid Brilliants / LDNBmusic / Ambra

Paul SG - Hidden Smile (CJ Styles Remix) forthcoming Ambra


02-06-2012 13:56 Send an Email to cjstyles Search for Posts by cjstyles Add cjstyles to your Buddy List
GoogleGoogle is female
Ad Producer


lots of money

Registration Date: 06-06-2005
Posts: a million

  Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator Go to the top of this page

06-06-2006 06:66 Search for Posts by Google Add Google to your Buddy List Send a Private Message to Google
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » This is NOT the end. Dnbbe will NOT be taken offline soon.

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH