drumnbass.be forum
Register Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » distinctive snare sound » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Receive email on new post
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page distinctive snare sound
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
deadbolt
Tourist

Registration Date: 25-01-2010

Rate Member

distinctive snare sound Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There's a snare sound I am really trying to figure out how it is made. Is it a specific type of snare that I need to get or can it be done with layering and eqing?

here's an example:

noisia and counterstrike use the same snare sound alot...

I don't really know how to describe it either, its sort of tinny and hollow. Is it the reverb thats making it sound like that?
19-07-2010 11:26 Send an Email to deadbolt Search for Posts by deadbolt Add deadbolt to your Buddy List
deadbolt
Tourist

Rate Member

RE: distinctive snare sound Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Can layering on a metallic snare help?
19-07-2010 13:39 Send an Email to deadbolt Search for Posts by deadbolt Add deadbolt to your Buddy List
GoogleGoogle is female
Ad Producer

lots of money

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator Go to the top of this page

06-06-2006 06:66 Search for Posts by Google Add Google to your Buddy List Send a Private Message to Google
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

RE: distinctive snare sound Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Try...

Layering + envelopes + distortion are good ways to enhance snare drums.

Watch the mistabisihi masterclass videos on youtube, he's more a liquid producer, but he explains making good drums in his video tutorials like no other has done before.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
19-07-2010 13:45 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
deadbolt
Tourist

Rate Member

looks like those vids have all been removed Frown

sounds like they're really good from what i've read.. any know where to get them?
19-07-2010 14:05 Send an Email to deadbolt Search for Posts by deadbolt Add deadbolt to your Buddy List
Tonedef Tonedef is a male
2ginger

Registration Date: 05-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.20

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

its hard to replicate a particular snare sound with so many layers factoring the overall result. i would try first finding a snare (or 2) with some punch, eq these accordingly (up to 7-8 db of gain around 205-210hz) to suite your taste. keep this particular snare sound very tight (very litlle release). now try adding a layered snare that has a little noise in its release, maybe add a small amount of distortion, again adjust to taste. see how that works.

fuck i sound like delia smith in how to prepare the perfect snare lol
19-07-2010 19:58 Send an Email to Tonedef Search for Posts by Tonedef Add Tonedef to your Buddy List
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Mistabishi producer masterclass videos have been removed indeed Frown Frown Frown Frown Frown

__
19-07-2010 20:58 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
deadbolt
Tourist

Rate Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ginger
its hard to replicate a particular snare sound with so many layers factoring the overall result. i would try first finding a snare (or 2) with some punch, eq these accordingly (up to 7-8 db of gain around 205-210hz) to suite your taste. keep this particular snare sound very tight (very litlle release). now try adding a layered snare that has a little noise in its release, maybe add a small amount of distortion, again adjust to taste. see how that works.

Haha you must see beardyman >
20-07-2010 10:42 Send an Email to deadbolt Search for Posts by deadbolt Add deadbolt to your Buddy List
deadbolt
Tourist

Rate Member

Here's an example of what I have so far:

DNB Beat example

Suggestions, advice?
20-07-2010 11:48 Send an Email to deadbolt Search for Posts by deadbolt Add deadbolt to your Buddy List
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Please bounce that to WAV instead, I can't open it.

__
20-07-2010 14:50 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by deadbolt
quote:

Haha you must see beardyman > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7GGkKpBR-g

He's dead funny, a real talent. Just watched it again and noticed how well he deals with things going wrong and makes actually new jokes out of them. World class.

__
20-07-2010 14:54 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
deadbolt
Tourist

Rate Member

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:
Originally posted by deadbolt
quote:

Haha you must see beardyman > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7GGkKpBR-g

He's dead funny, a real talent. Just watched it again and noticed how well he deals with things going wrong and makes actually new jokes out of them. World class.

He's not just a beatbox champ he's a comedian, it's the perfect mix. Like Rahzel meets the white version of Richard Pryor
20-07-2010 15:05 Send an Email to deadbolt Search for Posts by deadbolt Add deadbolt to your Buddy List
GoogleGoogle is female
Ad Producer

lots of money

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator Go to the top of this page

06-06-2006 06:66 Search for Posts by Google Add Google to your Buddy List Send a Private Message to Google
deadbolt
Tourist

Rate Member

Here's the wav. Have mixed it with some amen. I think I've successfully got the kicks and snares quite punchy. AS for getting the metallic sound of the snare, i need to find a better sounding metallic snare maybe. It's the snare im stuck on..

http://www.zshare.net/audio/78507191ac8b7d5b/
20-07-2010 15:14 Send an Email to deadbolt Search for Posts by deadbolt Add deadbolt to your Buddy List
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Link doesn't work

__
22-07-2010 19:40 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
deadbolt
Tourist

Rate Member

here it is again:

DNB track 6 _rework_.wav - 1.79MB
23-07-2010 08:11 Send an Email to deadbolt Search for Posts by deadbolt Add deadbolt to your Buddy List
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Doesn't sound bad at all.
This is a pretty normal snare though, if you want some metal "kling klang" style sound you should get a good sample instead of layering it with this snare.

The miwdown is a bit sloppy (not sure if you put any work into it at all).
It sounds muffled (too little hi end) and hollow.
The hi-hat stuff isn't loud enough compare to the other elements.

__
23-07-2010 22:29 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
deadbolt
Tourist

Rate Member

thanks for the advice. I'm working on it all the time, changing samples, adding reverb, removing stuff.. just looking for that perfect snare.

I really need a decent spectrum analyzer. I can't see whats going on which is like a man with no arms playing chess.
24-07-2010 09:56 Send an Email to deadbolt Search for Posts by deadbolt Add deadbolt to your Buddy List
xCeed xCeed is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 13-01-2010

Rate Member

Sorry for this stupid question, but where can you view and change Hz?
24-10-2010 14:12 Send an Email to xCeed Search for Posts by xCeed Add xCeed to your Buddy List
CH3SH CH3SH is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 22-12-2010

Rate Member

Usually the way to acheive that 'klang klang' snare is to layer in percussion thats been pitched,
Personally id resort to an acoustic sample such as the imfamous piccolo snare which is used widely by the like of limewax, current value etc.. and send it through distortion, then hp from 200hz and layer this onto my main snare sample Wink

__

10-01-2011 06:15 Send an Email to CH3SH Search for Posts by CH3SH Add CH3SH to your Buddy List
GoogleGoogle is female
Ad Producer

lots of money

Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » distinctive snare sound

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH