drumnbass.be forum
Register Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Passive Speaker Help » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Receive email on new post
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Passive Speaker Help
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thisisausername Thisisausername is a male
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2604.jpg

Registration Date: 19-05-2008

Rate Member

Attention Passive Speaker Help Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sorry for the two similar posts in a few days, but this is quite important, and I figured .be was the place to come for help....

The problem is as follows:

I bought these speakers for Djing Recently :

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR92328

I know I need an amplifier, but because I dont know what is on the back of an amp, I dont have a clue what amp and cables to buy....

I would be grateful for any advice you have....
18-10-2008 21:13 Send an Email to Thisisausername Search for Posts by Thisisausername Add Thisisausername to your Buddy List
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

RE: Passive Speaker Help Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

are you wanting to use these for prodction or for dj'ing.?
19-10-2008 17:23 Send an Email to the moneyshot Search for Posts by the moneyshot Add the moneyshot to your Buddy List
GoogleGoogle is female
Ad Producer

lots of money

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator Go to the top of this page

06-06-2006 06:66 Search for Posts by Google Add Google to your Buddy List Send a Private Message to Google
Thisisausername Thisisausername is a male
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2604.jpg

Registration Date: 19-05-2008

Rate Member

RE: Passive Speaker Help Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by the moneyshot
are you wanting to use these for prodction or for dj'ing.?

Djing

Would This be okay?

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/4487

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Thisisausername: 20-10-2008 23:56.

19-10-2008 18:19 Send an Email to Thisisausername Search for Posts by Thisisausername Add Thisisausername to your Buddy List
DJ ANARKY
unregistered

basically mate(dont hold me to this), but i think u just need sum speaker cables(oxygen-free if poss) and i think pretty much any amp would be ok.noticed u got the kams from htfr so chek out the home/hi-fi amplifiers section an they range from £50 to bout £300.

usually on the bak of an amp u have got a selection of inputs(1 of wich u would connect your mixer to-eg cd/video etc) an (usually) btween 2-4 connections for speakers(either clips or similar to the back of speakers) n that is pretty much all u need.
Hope that helps Confused safe.

just noticed ur last post n 'think' that wud be fine but i personally wud go for a cheaper amp for mixin!ez

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DJ ANARKY: 18-12-2008 23:22.

18-12-2008 23:17
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

when it comes to passive, they're a real bitch, you can save some money in a pinch, actives rock because the amp and everything is set up for the speakers. what is usually a good idea is to get an amp by the same brand as the speakers, usually there made to go together. the cables would just be your standard cable wires. a big gauge wire, there's not much need for them to be protected they got a lot of juice pumping through them.

DJ ANARKY is right, hi-fi amp is all you'd need. try to Google a manual for the speakers if you need details. by getting a cheaper amp, one that is weaker, you also help yourself by not blowing the speakers because it just can't pump too much juice.

look at this as a good opportunity to learn, go to the store and ask questions look around, then decide what you wanna get, on ebay or whatever.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

19-12-2008 20:38 Send an Email to Halph-Price Homepage of Halph-Price Search for Posts by Halph-Price Add Halph-Price to your Buddy List
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm going to give you a bit of different advice from the other members here: If you are going to use it for dj'ing, don't buy a HIFI amp, but a decent PA amp. Why? Chances are quiet big that at a gigg you will have the amp turned all the way up and pumping for hours. A Hifi amp simply isn't built for that. You wouldn't be the first one and you won't be the last to blow up an amp, even if it is matched to you speakers. Most hifi amps can't handle the heat they produce when playing at maximum volume for hours, so components will break down. The hifi amps that can handle this, are the high-end ones, and will cost you more than a PA amp.

Another hint: if you don't know which cables or connectors to get, just look up the stuff on the manufacturer website, they usually contain more detailed info than the sites from the stores.

Your speakers are 200W / 8 ohms, the amp you proposed is only 45W @ 8 ohms, so you will have to look into something more heavy.

Technically a 2*200W @ 8 ohms amp would be the perfect match for your speakers. If you want to protect from blowing your speakers, it might be better to go a little bit lower, more like 175-180W.

Also an important note: Always make sure your amp and speaker have the same impedance. (most amps can switch between 8 Ohms and 4Ohms nowadays) Unmatched impedance will lead to less efficient power transfer from your amp to your speakers, and might result in overheating and damaging either of those.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 06-01-2009 18:20.

06-01-2009 18:19 Send an Email to djfreemc Homepage of djfreemc Search for Posts by djfreemc Add djfreemc to your Buddy List
GoogleGoogle is female
Ad Producer

lots of money

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator Go to the top of this page

06-06-2006 06:66 Search for Posts by Google Add Google to your Buddy List Send a Private Message to Google
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Passive Speaker Help

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH